Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The B Team

Today is team driving day. Occasionally I'm driven single. Mike reaffirms that I'm fabulous, secretly fantasizes about taking me to the singles world championships, then sighs and turns me back towards the barn.
Other times, I'm driven as a pair. My partners are usually Mr. "I can walk faster than any horse alive" Tuff, or Miss "I'd really not leave the barn, thank you!" Tina. It's all business with Tuff. I work way too hard and Tuff is not sufficiently impressed with my effort. Tina's a bit lazy and makes me look good. She keeps Mike busy calling her name. I used to think he kept saying "Fred!" so much to point me out to the crowd, but have since learned it's not a good thing. I've tried telling her, but she's in denial. I pay close attention to where we're going. Tina's been known to hit a thing or two. (I forgive but never forget.)
Anyway, it's team day. Ready and Donovan are led to the wheel. Tina and I are leaders, but I'm on the wrong side. Ruff and Tuff are in their stalls. My first thought is, "First the minis and now this. Mike really is losing it." My second thought is, "We're all gonna die!"
We've never done this without Tuff telling us all what to do and Ruff making sure that the carriage doesn't hit anything. I look anxiously at Tina. She's oblivious. I glance back at Ready and Donovan. They look slightly dazed and bewildered. I think the whites of my eyes might be showing. I try to calm down. That can't be a good look for me.
Off we go and we live to tell the tale. My fears were (uncharacteristically for me) exaggerated. Donovan steps up and does great. Ready, all about self-preservation, does her part. Tina, after a slow start, finally gets it in gear and gets to work. I, of course, am fabulous.
We head back to the barn. Ruff and Tuff smirk smugly in their stalls. I hope they're enjoying their break. I can only take so much stress. I need a massage. Where are those fans of mine?

2 comments:

  1. Keep the posts coming, FF.
    pw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Fred, we went to Arabian Region IX and Mom was so proud of me, though I know she was disappointed I didn't get one of those trophies. Your friend Dani said I looked better than ever, though the lady named Samea said I was inconsisent in my first class and Dani said she hardly looked at me in my second class except when she backed in front of me when we reversed on the diagonal and Mom thought I ought to go around her. That lady looked surprised that we passed in front of her. We had a good time doing the "my route, your route" cones. I went through the middle and right where Mom pointed me. We made some sweeping smooth turns and I didn't feel the need to canter. A nice friend of Mom's popped my neck and adjusted my hip before the thing started.
    Next day, those durn women took us a back way not as smooth and fast as that highway we came down on, but it was early and a good breeze with plenty of hay to munch. They led me into a rubber floored room and a funny guy talked nice to me and to Mom and Dani. He got up on a block and pushed down on my sacrum and made me feel a whole lot better. I walked back to the trailer with bells on. I got all day Saturday off, and then Mom made me walk the carriage for nearly thirty minutes and turned me loose on Sunday.
    Are you guys coming to Tyler for the Tejas ADT July 25?
    Your blaze-faced friend that your Mike thought a wise ass, Marky

    ReplyDelete